From the plate at the entrance of the synagogue we learn as follows: "The Synagogue was buit between 1856 and 1863 according to the plans of Ludwig Förster, in Neo-Romanesque Moresque style. It is similar to the synagogue of Leopoldstadt in Vienna, which was also designed by Förster. Förster introduced more innovations in his design, he had an organ built in the synagogue, and had the torah reading table placed in front of the Ark of the Convenant, instead of the middle of the building. This evoked protest in believers, whose majority belonged to the Orthodox wing, and as in the year following the year of the synagogue's inauguration, the Rabbi Assembly in Sátoraljaújhely excommunicated the Rabbi of Miskolc, they deckded to restructure the synagogue according to the traditions. As a result of the conflict, the Sephardic community separated from Miskolc Jews and rented (or built) their own meeting-house in Kölcsey street, which has not been preseved. In the autumn of 2013 the Synagogue was temporarily closed due to its degraded state and the accident risk (the fundament, the roofing and the roof supporting pillars weakened). The facades on Kazinczy road and the yard are decorated with an Arabesque rose window and narrow arched windows, the main facade that faces the yard, is decorated with the double stone tables of Moses. The interior of the three nave building with a false basilican structure includes slender iron pillars with Gothic and Byzantine ornament elements, which were made in the Fazola school of Hamor. The sophisticated wall paintings, which evoke eastern motivs, were made by M. Horowitz.
From Zhytomyr to Berdychiv
14 hours ago