17 December 2016

The Radautz Vital Records Index Database 1857 - 1929

During the summer of 2016, I traveled to Rădăuţi, Romania, and visited the Archives in the Town Hall. After some negotiations and with a little bit of luck, I was given permission to photograph Jewish vital records for the Rădăuţi, Solca, and Vicov communities of Bukovina; see my blog posting "Books of Seven Seals in Rădăuți and Suceava". The first database resulting from these efforts is The Radautz Marriage Index Database.

http://www.reisch-family.net/SevenSealsLukePHP/SevenSealsMarriages.html

Every society enlarges itself through marriages. When you are tracing your family history, this information can offer one of the most common missing links – a maiden name. All marriage records include the full names of the bride and groom as well as  the marriage date and other additional information, such as the names and birthplaces of each individual's parents. As part ONE of an ongoing project - birth & death records will come soon - The Radautz Marriage Index Database is a rich web resource for Jewish heritage in Bukovina. It contains over 3,000 properly indexed marriage records for the period 1870-1929. Copies of family marriage records are freely available upon request.

http://www.reisch-family.net/SevenSealsRadautzDeathIndex/SearchForm.html

NEW: Even if final, but not trivial at all, death records are among the most important of all vital records. Death Indices typically contain the birth date of a person, date of death, cause of death and other details that are helpful in genealogical and historical research. As part TWO of our ongoing project, The Radautz Death Index Database is a rich web resource for Jewish heritage in Bukovina. It contains over 7,500 properly indexed death records for the period 1857-1929; some data refer back to births as early as the middle of the 18th century. Copies of family death records are freely available upon request.


Whether you are looking for an ancestor or trying to find a lost classmate, these records can provide a link to vital information and point you toward important clues. The free search provided by The Radautz Vital Records Index Database 1857-1929 can jumpstart your research project. Please check it out and let us have your comments…!

bukovina.records@gmail.com

Our thanks go to Martina Lelgemann, who took care of the transcription, and to Bruce Reisch, who developed The Radautz Marriages search engine and website. Lucas Reisch provided php search engine expertise.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

It's not every day that you learn something about your great great grandmother. Thanks to Edgar, Martina, Bruce and Lucas I found the marriage record of one of my great grandfather's brothers, Chaim. That told me my great great grandmother came from Buczacz, a wonderful surprise. I also found the marriage record for one of Chaim's sons and for one of Chaim's brothers. Five minutes of research on my part - coupled with the endless hours of Edgar and his team - provided so much new information on what had been an obscure part of my family history. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Martin Kliehm said...

Please keep me updated when the birth index database becomes available.

Or to be more specific, I'm looking for birth register entries for the surname Kurzberg from 15 March 1869 in Ober-Wików, 5 March 1892 in Putna, 20 November 1893 in Ober-Wików, 8 September 1896 in Ober-Wików, and 11 March 1906 in Putna.

Can I help digitizing?

Unknown said...

dear Edgar & Bruce
i want to thank you from the bottom of my heart about all the information & documents you sent me.
in February 2019, after long searches, i revealed that my grand grandmother was born in Radautz. since then, i revealed who were her parents and grand parents and i stil revealed more & more about the family members. every time im exciting to find a new mwmbers
thank you very much & to all the people who helped your great project. waiting for it to be completed.
thank you for your intent & patient

bless you
Meira GOLSTEIN

Heather said...

Why can I never find my forefathers? All I know is Benjamin Bachman married Ethel and their son Abraham ( g grandfather) ended up in Rochester NY Abraham was born June21 1869......

This is a wonderful wonderful resource.

Edgar Hauster said...

Dear Heather,
Thank you so much for your message, really highly appreciated. Are you sure about the birthplace being Radautz? In any case please "stay tuned" since our database will be expanded by Vicov and Solca soon. Who knows...?!
Warmest wishes!

Unknown said...

Dear Edgar!
Thank you so much for your awsome operation!
For many years i am looking for myfather's birth certificat with no sucsess/ He was born near solca but idon't know the place of birth registration. Is it possible tolook at the birth information you got? I realy don"t know if it"s available and how to do it?
appreciate your answer
Aviva Yahalomi

Edgar Hauster said...

Dear Aviva! Thank you so much for your message. The transcription works for the Vicov and Solca databases are not completed yet. I'm positive that an update will be effected later this year. What/whom exactly are you looking for, perhaps we can offer a preferred "appetizer" to you?! In any case please let me know your email address, so that we'll be able to keep you updated.
Warmest wishes!
Edgar Hauster • bukovina.records@gmail.com

ido said...

Dear Edgar,
Thank you so much for your awsome operation! I really appreciate your investment in this special project, thanks to you I can know more about my great grandfather, however I tried to send you an email with the details so you can help me find documents about my grandfather from the email address: ravid.ido@gmail.com. Hope you answer me soon, thanks so much for all the help

Jaromir said...

Dear Edgar,

I am researching my family history. Please help me as I came to a standstill.
My great grandparent and his family come from Czernowitz and some relatives might have been of a Jewish descent. Have you got access to the Greek Catholic metrical books from Czernowitz - years 1860 - 1900? Maybe you know who holds them? I wrote to the Czernovitz State Archive but they said that they did not have those books. They advised me I should write to the Romanian archives, including the one in Jassy (Iași). Unfortunetely, the Romanian archives sent me back to Czernovitz State Archive.


Kind regards,



Jaromir Iwanciow

Edgar Hauster said...

Dear Jaromir,

Thank you very much for your message and the confidence you have placed in me. I think that you should be exactly right at FamilySearch (registration required):

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=58672&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Austria%2C%20Bukowina%2C%20Czernowitz%22

Take a closer look at the Czernowitz Church records and - since you know the exact dates - you should discover what you are looking for there.

Good luck with your research and warmest wishes from Germany!

Mickey said...

Amazing information from the18th C. business document.
So strange to see only deaths listed in Radauti for Rostoker.
No births or marriages.

Unknown said...

Dear Edgar,

When will will we have access to the Radautz Birth Index? I'm itching to look for some names. (I'm comfortable reading the images if I can get access to them.

Thank you,
Moshe Berman

rivkah Hammer said...

I started researching my husbands family history since the start of the year. His maternal family come from the Tarnapol area and the records are amazing!! When I first started looking (years ago) at his Romanian side of the family I stopped looking. The availability of records was dismal compared to the Polish side!! But I started searching again and found this sight and the jewishgen page. Hope at last!! My only stumbling block are the Hammer family from Krasna Putna. But I am sure that in another couple of years, assuming the records assist, I will find the info I need. Many thanks to Edgar and crew. Looking forward to finding more!

Rivkah said...

I just discovered an amazing thing. If I view this blog post via my phones browser the birth records are available!! But they are not available via my computer browser!! I'm so excited to have found the birth records. keep up the amazing work!

Edgar Hauster said...

Rivkah, you'll need to update the computer browser cookies in order to get the up-to-date website inculding the Radautz Births. I wish you success with your research!

David Gunther / dagunthe@gmail.com said...

Dear Edgar,

I am finding that I cannot access the Radautz Birth Index Database.

When I go to the following webpage, http://hauster.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-radautz-vital-records-index.html , I can access the Marriage and Death databases by clicking on the round "CLICK HERE" prompt. However I am not seeing such a prompt over the Radautz Birth Index Database.

Would you have any recommendations for me?

I do see a reference to a record of the birth of my grandfather, Josef Gutherz, on the webpage https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/glue_s2.php?test=Y&rec=a225bc08-b2fc-4254-acf6-4c722d353242_0023894 .

The reference identifies his record as being in Register 9, Reg Yr. 1911, on Pg. 556, Img P1090833, # 185, with the Source being the Romanian National Archives, Suceava branch, birth register [Edgar Hauster index].


Thank you so very much for all your remarkable work!

David Gunther

Edgar Hauster said...

If the search engines are not displayed correctly for you, please check your cookie settings!
http://czernowitz.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-radautz-vital-records-index.html
http://hauster.blogspot.com/2022/05/the-jewish-cemetery-of-radautz-4056-km.html